Wednesday, June 1, 2011

LeBron and the Hate

LeBron or Kobe? LeBron better than MJ? I have heard the arguments and it seems as though those arguments could last longer than a Willy Wonka Gobstopper. Let me come out and say the argument is dumb and a waste of time.

LeBron and Kobe are completely different players. LeBron can’t shoot, but can’t be stopped when he drives. Kobe can shoot and doesn’t always look to drive. Period. Stop comparing. They are both great players and amazing at what they do.

Now, as for the comparison between Michael Jordan and LeBron or Kobe; give it up. Michael Jordan was the best athlete and basketball player that the NBA had ever seen….IN THE 80’s and 90’s!!! Player’s were different then. Weights and the weight room didn’t seem to exist back then. Muscles and strength didn’t play the role it does now in basketball. Look at a picture of Michael Jordan in his prime, and look at LeBron James now. MJ weighed 215 lbs then and sense LeBron is “sensitive” about spilling the beans about his weight, it’s been estimated that he clocks in at 275 lbs. Did I mention, they play the same position.

My point is, look at how far the game has evolved. That goes for all sports. Athletes are freakishly taller, faster, stronger, etc. Records are constantly being broken around the sports world. Steroids? Maybe. Do I really care? Kind of. Yes, I agree that steroids and “muscle producing supplements,” ruin the authentic natural beauty of sports, but I must admit the athletes are a lot more fun to watch. I’ll save the steroid conversation for another time, because if you’re like me Barry Bonds needs to hideout in a cave far away.

Back to something that’s rarely talked about on ESPN, LeBron. Let’s look at his history. He went to Cleveland, made a suffering team (and city) one of the hottest teams in the league but couldn’t carry the entire organization on his back to a championship. He asked for help numerous times, they didn’t help him yet he was loyal to Cleveland for seven years. SEVEN YEARS, LeBron was stuck with bum players and expected to win them a championship.

The Decision: Last summer was LeBron’s downfall. Unless you were living under a rock, you saw or heard about The Decision. Dumb PR move there, (It was even rumored his own managers and agents told him not to do that show). If you hate LeBron because of the way he made that announcement, then so be it. But, don’t hate him for going to Miami. Unless, you lived in Cleveland you can’t be mad about that. Put yourself in his shoes- Where would you want to live? Cleveland or South Beach? Who would you want to play with? Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh or Booby Gibson and Anderson Varejao? If you are already making millions of dollars, would you want tons of more money or a championship(s)?

So, LeBron couldn’t carry a team by himself to a championship. Could you? Did you forget Larry Bird had Robert Parish and Kevin McHale on his team? Michael Jordan had Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman. Magic Johnson had Dr. J and James Worthy. Kobe had Shaq. All of which were Hall of Famers. Fact-No one wins championships by themselves.

Bottom line, there will always be haters. When the Heat were suffering throughout the regular season, all the haters rose up and yelled, “I told you it wouldn’t work!” Well, look where the Heat are now. I’m not saying I’m necessarily a Heat fan, or a LeBron fan, because I really just like watching good games. But, lay off the guy will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment