Monday, June 13, 2011

Did the Heat lose, or Mavs Win?

You probably won’t believe me, but I was very indifferent about this NBA Finals. All I wanted was a great series that lasted seven games and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I really didn’t care who would win. I like Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and even “The Janitor,” Brian Cardinal. But, if the Heat would have won, I would’ve been okay with that as well. I like Dwayne Wade, Mike Bibby and Chris Bosh, I’m trying to keep my liking for LeBron James, but he’s really trying to lose everyone’s respect. As we know Game 6 the Mavericks won in Miami and Dirk Nowitzki deservingly won the MVP of the series.

Turn on ESPN this morning and watch SportsCenter, what do you see? “Dallas Mavericks Win Championship?” No. The bigger headline is that the experiment of the “Big Three,” in South Beach was a failure. If the Heat were to come short of anything other than the championship they would be considered a bust, like The Hangover Part Two.

Why does it have to be like that? Instead of watching Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler celebrate after the game, the cameras shoot right at LeBron; which is a shame. Because what the world (3 a.m. in Germany) saw was LeBron pouting his way into the locker room. The other Heat members stayed out and said “good game, congratulations.” LeBron cannot be called The King by others anymore, because no King is ring less. It’s a shame the kind of person LeBron is portraying this year.

Did you watch the postgame interviews? Any question asked by the media about the team Wade answered with a humbling response. If LeBron didn’t defer a question like a baby, LeBron answered every question he had to and referred to himself as the individual. “I work hard in the off-season, that’s all I can do this off-season. That’s how I’m coming back next year. I can only improve myself as an individual.” Not word for word, but that’s what LeBron was reminding everyone; it’s about him. I never knew this LeBron in Cleveland. I could barely listen to this interview.

Like I said before, I didn’t care who won the series. But, watching the Miami Heat play basketball the way they did in Game 4, 5 and 6 made me furious. To have that much talent and to play the way they did makes me sick as a basketball enthusiast. One pass and a three-point-shot one possession, then come down next possession and watch LeBron shoot a six-foot, bank-shot that doesn’t even hit the rim. I almost turned to channel to watch MTV’s 16 and Pregnant. Maybe he can’t handle the fact that Dwayne Wade is the man in Miami, because while Wade was making spectacular drives, LeBron was over pouting in the corner of the court.

Enough of the Heat, they lost remember? The Dallas Mavericks won the NBA Finals and they definitely deserved it. Dirk Nowitzki played like a MVP, after Nowitzki “called out” Jason Terry, Terry responded in a big way, and Jason Kidd led the team like the veteran he is. J.J. Barea, the smallest, white guy on the court was playing like a crazed man, driving to the bucket carefree challenging LeBron’s shot blocking ability. Never once was Barea ever challenged at the rim, and that blows my mind. Shawn Marion, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic and Dirk Nowitzki have all made it to the Finals but could never win it. Terry and Nowitzki both lost to Miami five years ago in the Finals. That was back when Mark Cuban seemed to be another player out there running his mouth, (why was he so quiet this time?). This time it was Wade and LeBron running their mouth and look what it got them. I’m happy for the Mavs and especially for Terry, Kidd and Nowitzki. Immediately after the game last night, Nowitzki ran right to the locker room holding back the tears. He deserved that Championship, he deserved that MVP Award. Nowitzki made every else better on his team, he doesn’t play selfish and it’s never always about him. The Mavericks play the game right; they play team basketball and hard defense. By the way, the Mavericks didn’t even have arguably their second best player with Caron Butler dealing with his knee injury.

So, congratulations to the Mavericks. They played with poise and maturity, heart and skill. As for the Heat, please knock LeBron’s head back on his shoulders and get him to stop acting like a little kid. I wonder who was celebrating more last night, Mark Cuban or Danny Gilbert?

No comments:

Post a Comment