Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Fine Line Between a Tough Coach and a Dodge Ball Player


Rutgers University men’s basketball coach, Mike Rice was fired this morning. After video evidence was revealed to the world yesterday on Outside the Lines of Coach Rice heaving basketballs at players when the messed up in practice, calling his players derogatory names and cursing them out nose-to-nose and even physically abusing them, the sports world exploded. Even LeBron James had to put in his two cents tweeting, “If my son played for Rutgers or a coach like that he would have some real explaining to do and I'm still gone whoop on him afterwards! C'mon

Now, I've had my fair share of tough, intimidating coaches.  I've been yelled at, broken down and benched in basketball.  But, those same coaches were able to build me back up, cool down and later explain to me what I did wrong and how to correct it.  I was used to the yelling coach that everyone thought was scary and tough, but I knew he was a little excited and was just trying to get me to do the right thing.  Sure, I would struggle with that type of coaching at some points, but one of the most helpful advice I ever received was, “Listen to what the coaches say and not how they say it.” Which was true.  There’s a difference between a coach who uses tactics like purple-faced, veins popping-out, yelling to motivate players and a coach to buries you emotionally and physically.  I was motivated to play harder, get tougher, and I knew those coaches were getting every drop of talent and effort I had for the best.  The next day, I knew I could go and talk with those same coaches about any of my problems in life and they would support me.  They had my back and they truly cared about me.  This type of coaching translated over into the real world, thickening my skin, staying competitive and working my hardest at whatever I do and I thank them for that.

That is a completely different story in this Rutgers and Mike Rice situation.  That man put his hands on players, hitting them, grabbing the player’s jerseys and throwing them around, demoralizing them and even chucking basketballs at their shins and heads. Rice is delusional, plain and simple, to think that would be acceptable.  As an 18-22 year-old college player it would be very hard for me not to react to that insanity.
I saw the Rutgers Athletic Director interviewed last night on SportsCenter and I was shocked.  Upon reviewing the footage he originally granted Mike Rice a 3-game suspension, a small fine, and ordered him to anger management.  Really? If this were off the court, he could be charged with assault.  But, now that the video footage was released to the world for all to see, the Athletic Director went back on his original punishment and fired Rice. Does this seem sketchy to anyone else?

Mike Rice tried giving his sob story this morning to cameras about how he embarrassed himself, his school, and his family. Not once did I hear him talk about how he embarrassed his players that he abused. I hope that man never receives another coaching job, for the sake of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment