Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Oh the Madness of this Month


As I write this from a plane, 22,000 feet above the ground, with all the time in the world to fill out my NCAA basketball bracket I have to keep in mind that no matter how many times I look at the match ups, I will be wrong. No matter how many scenarios I play out in my head or how much I listen to Doug Gottlieb and Seth Greenberg's break downs, my bracket is going to end up being shattered by some 12 or 13 seed. 

So, naturally I decided to select more upsets in the first and second round. No matter how many times I fill out a bracket I find myself with 1 and 2 seeds in the Final Four. My heart just won't let anyone but the "big boy" teams end up in the Final Four. So, after saying that here's my two cents on what this amazing month is going to bring us in the NCAA tournament:

1 seeds: Indiana and Louisville have proved themselves over and again as the most complete basketball teams in the NCAA. They have both solid post men and great guard play. They both have a strong bench and play in-your-face defense.  Sure, they've both suffered losses but they've learned from those losses and become better teams because of it. Many believe that Gonzaga did not deserve the 1 seed because of their weak conference and  who they played. Though they have a great record, and have a solid team, not being tested in the regular season by a tough team will come back to bite them. The last 1 seed, Kansas, was the hardest for me to figure out. Though they have a good team, I believe their lack of strong guard-play will hurt them. Having to possibly  face the guard-heavy Tar Heels, the athletic VCU Rams (who keep in mind are out for Jayhawks revenge) and then possibly face Otto Porter and Hoyas is just too much for the immature Rock Chalkers to handle. 

This Year's Theme-Parody: if you've been following the analysts of the NCAA tournament you'll hear a lot of talk of the "parity teams."  As I've mentioned in previous posts, there is no clear-cut dominant team in this tournament. There are 12-14 teams I can look at in this field that could end up winning this thing. I mean, ESPN's Colin Cowherd has SLU losing to Miami in the Championship! Upsets will be in full effect this month. My upsets would be 11-seed Minnesota, 11-seed Belmont and 12-Cal to hurt some feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-seed Michigan and 1-seed Gonzaga make some early exits. 

My hometown teams: Nobody is more thrilled as I am about SLU's storybook season. After the passing of legendary coach, Rick Mejerus, the Billikins have been playing their hearts out. With a chip on their shoulder they aren't satisfied with just winning the Atlantic 10 Championship, making the NCAA tournament and receiving a 4-seed. They are out to prove how good of a team they really are and make a deep run in the tournament. I hope the Tigers take note of their thirst for victories. As the Tigers receive a 8-seed this year, and a brand new team from last year (including new Coach), you would hope they would take note of the early first round exit they took on the chin as a 2-seed last year. The sense of urgency seems to be lacking in the Mizzou Tigers this year. They lost a lot of close games by terrible guard play throughout the season.  They have all the pieces they need, they just haven't clicked as a team yet.  I rooting hard for both the Billikins and Tigers and would love to see them make a run. It won't be an easy road for either, but I truly believe that both have the skills and potential to do some damage and represent the state of Missouri well. 

This tournament will be one of the crazier NCAA basketball tournaments that I can remember. I can't recall the last time the playing field has been so even across the board. Will we see a 16-seed finally upset a 1-seed? Will a 1-seed end up winning the whole shebang (12 outta the last 14 winners have been 1-seeds)? I guess will have to wait and find out, one thing we know for sure is that the Madness in the month of March will certainly live up to it's name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment