When I was 11 years-old, Mia Hamm and the United States
women’s soccer team won the World Cup in historic fashion! I was glued to the TV and couldn’t manage to
get myself ready for my own little league game.
It was overtime and the game had gone into penalty kicks. After the first eight players took their
shots, it came down to Brandi Chastain.
She shot, the goalie missed and next thing I knew Chastain ripped off
her jersey in triumph as I stood there shocked.
I wasn’t sure whether to go crazy because they won the World Cup or to
just stare at the shirtless lady!
In my eyes, that moment defined women’s athletics
forever! Beautiful, athletic girls could
beat the crap out of teams; it inspired a generation of girls. That first wave of that generation of girls
just won the Gold medal in the 2012 Olympics.
After last summer’s 2011 World Cup, and having Japan defeat
the U.S. in the Finals, the team was ready for vengeance. Last summer, Americans really got behind this
team led by Abby Wambach, Hope Solo and the youngster Alex Morgan. Between this summer and last, the women
prepared harder than ever, and it paid off.
An exciting finish to the quarterfinals, when Alex Morgan scored the
winning goal in the 2OT carrying the women to the finals. They got their wish, Japan vs. USA Part II,
and for those of us who don’t have NBC Sports Network, (don’t get me started),
the US women prevailed 2-1!
It’s great to see the support the women have been
receiving. The recognition that they
have earned and that they deserve has finally come full circle. Young girls wanting to grow up to be the next
Mia Hamm are Alex Morgan and company. Now
young girls want to aspire to be them.
Guys, take note. I
saw more tweets and posts about the women’s soccer team than I did about the
men’s team, (didn’t qualify this year).
It’s refreshing to see young, female athletes bust their tail to work for
one goal. In this case a few goals!

No comments:
Post a Comment