Friday, July 27, 2012

Red, White and Blue…and Gold


The 2012 London Summer Olympics commence tonight and as an American, I am ready!  I’ve got my fake Adidas and Nike uniforms made (Egypt) and I’ve been arguing about which American basketball Dream Team was better as if there are no other countries that even come close. Let’s kick this thing off tonight in style!

I don’t know about you, but I am truly banking on America taking home every gold medal in every category, (except when Usain Bolt participates).  But, in particular there will be a few competitions that I am definitely watching (or at least recording on the DVR).
               
  -First and foremost I will be watching the USA Men’s Basketball team demolish teams.  Let’s face the facts, the only team that could give the U.S. a run for their money is Spain and the Gasol brothers.  Yeah, I think we’ll be okay.  The real question that has been media-blasted is which “Dream Team” is better.  That’s like the Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James debate.  Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger these days, so we aren’t exactly comparing apples to apples here.  We’ll never know, let’s move on.
               
  -I will be interested in the men’s swimming competitions.  No, not because I’m worried the U.S. won’t win gold.  I’m excited to see Americans Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte go head-to-head.  Phelps was the man last Olympics, will Lochte carry on the Olympic Torch?  Are you Team Phelps or Team Lochte?  This could definitely be a MTV series.
               
  -I will definitely be watching Alex Morgan, Hope Solo and the rest of the ladies compete in the Women’s Soccer competition.  They were so close in the World Cup last year.  I’ll be the first to admit, I was on the edge of my chair when they were playing.  I just want them to win one!
                
-Any other competitions will be casually viewed as background noise. 

I am confident that America will represent this year and once again prevail to take home the majority of gold medals!  The Opening Ceremony kicks off tonight.  Do you remember four years ago when Beijing had a million drummers and a crazy light show?  I really hope tonight will top that, so sit back and enjoy the next few weeks of weird sports like javelin, disco-throwing and walking on balance beams.

No comments:

Post a Comment