Monday, January 23, 2012

Wide Receivers Are Really Dropping the Ball (Puns are Fun)

I’ve watched football for years now. I’ve played a little football in middle school, attended many games and I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that my high school, Webster Groves, is the best high school in Missouri year after year when it comes to football. I digress…

Football is a man’s game. Tough, hard-hitting, fast pace, react quick or wake up on the ground is what football is all about. The past couple years, the NFL has taken a stance and came up with all new rules that have banished all types of rough play. “Don’t hit too high, don’t hit too low,” and “watch out that helmet hurts!” type rules has everyone walking on eggshells. These rules directly affect the quarterbacks, kickers and our beloved wide receivers. So, you tell me why these grown men, go-hard “athletes” get paid MILLIONS of dollars to drop a ball?

Now, I’m sure people would respond saying, “You don’t know what it’s like, so don’t judge!” And you have a point. I don’t know what it’s like having to cut through the middle to catch a pass wondering where Brian Urlacher is or sprinting full speed down the sideline watching back for a pass while Ed Reed is tracking you. But, I do know that these receivers are trained to do that. THAT’S WHAT THEY DO FOR A LIVING!

So, what happens to you, when you don’t perform at your job?

I understand that not everyone is perfect. I understand that receivers are going to drop a ball every once and awhile. That running through the field trying to catch a bullet from Tom Brady ain’t easy. I have my off days too. But, if a receiver continues to drop balls, why would you still throw to them? Why would you still play him? There is one team in particular I’m calling out; I think we all know where I’m heading with this…

I’ve been a Rams fan since they came to St. Louis and in the past few years, being a fan has not been easy. Even my mom can predict what play the Rams are going to run. You can only hear the announcer say, “Annnd, another 2-yard carry by Steven Jackson.” Then the Rams try to through one pass with young Sam Bradford and the receiver, being wide open, drops it. Destroying any confidence Sam the Ram may have had. Not even “offensive genius” Josh McDaniels could stand a season with our awful offense, before he went running to the Patriots.
You watch teams like the Patriots, the Packers, the Eagles and even the Broncos and the receivers catch balls they are supposed to, and even some that they aren’t supposed to catch.
I refuse to watch the Rams receivers continue dropping EASY passes! If they can’t do their job, send them on their way packing and find someone who can. I don’t care if it’s Justin Blackmon, Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, Coach Fisher needs to step into his new possession and set things right immediately. Because let’s face it, Steven Jackson and Sam Bradford aren’t getting any younger and the Rams couldn’t be any worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment